This is a delightful treat! The fluffy interiors and buttery layers of croissants add rich flavor and light texture to bread pudding.
- butter for baking dish
- 6 large eggs
- 4 c. half-and-half
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 8 large bakery croissants
- 1 can peaches
- 3/4 c. brown sugar, packed
- 1 c. pepitas
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1 c. whipping cream
- 1/2 c. maple syrup
- powdered sugar for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 3-quart baking dish; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, granulated sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
3.Tear croissants apart into bite-size pieces; place pieces in prepared baking dish. Add peaches; toss to mix. Pour egg mixture evenly over the top. Let soak for 8 to 10 minutes, pushing croissant pieces down into liquid so each piece is soaked.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine 1/2 cup brown sugar and pepitas. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle on top of croissant mixture.
5. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. If desired, sift with powdered sugar just before serving.
6. For maple sauce, in a small saucepan combine whipping cream, 1/4 cup brown sugar and maple syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture almost boils. Remove from heat. Serve over warm bread pudding.